The Travels of Tug 44

Erie Canal - Old Lock 18
Cohoes, NY

Old Lock 18 of the Enlarged Erie Canal (1842) is located up the hill from the School Street Hydro Plant. It is in reasonable condition, but some of it is partially buried. This is the head of the lock, showing the 2 chambers.

A closeup look at the head of the lock's center section, showing the entrance to the spillway which controlled the water level above the lock.

The lower end entrance to the lock, shows the south chamber half buried.

The stairs on the lower end of the lock are eroded and in poor condition.

Looking north up the eastern chamber shows the original door sill at the far end.

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page