The Travels of Tug 44

Erie Canal - Old Lock 21
Fort Hunter, NY

The Enlarged Erie Canal's "Empire" Lock 29 was built about 1842 and provided an 8 foot lift. There are two chambers, side by side.

In the 1890's, to accomodate increased traffic, the south chamber was extended on the eastern end.

A view of the extended south chamber with the shorter north chamber in the background.

165 years of upstate New York winters have not damaged the wonderful hand-cut stonework.

A tree grows on the original door sill plate on the north chamber.

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page