The Travels of Tug 44

Erie Canal - Old Lock 40
Jacksonburg, NY.

Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 40 is located at the end of Stegich Road in Jacksonburg NY. The old lock is buried and privately owned. This is the lower end of the center island of the double chambered lock built around 1850. The tree is in the center of the south chamber.

The north wall shows the notch where the gate once lay. Notice the old trucks in the background.

The land owner has a hobby of restoring old trucks from the 1940s and 1950s. These two beautifully restored Mack trucks date to about 1950.

The entire area is covered with old trucks, in various stages of restoration. These 3 are also Mack trucks from around 1950.

Hidden away in a shed is this White Mustang truck from the late 1940s. In need of restoration, this one is next on the list.

OK, back to the canals: This waste weir is about 300 yards west of the old lock and was once used as a spillway to control the canal's water level.

Here is the lower end of the waste weir, a tunnel constructed of hand cut stone blocks.

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page