The Travels of Tug 44

Gifford Covered Bridge
East Randolph, VT

Gifford Covered Bridge is a 47 foot span crossing the Second Branch of the White River in East Randolph VT. It was built in 1904.

The bridge was recently refurbished and repainted and looks terrific ... fresh bright red paint against the white snow, on the edge of the forest.

The Gifford Covered Bridge has a half-height multiple kingpost design. Directly above this truss is another multiple kingpost truss. In spite of the double truss design, the bridge needed some help and now includes two giant steel beams bolted to the floor on each side of the roadway. Some of the braces are fresh lumber, added recently.

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page