The Travels of Tug 44

Sanderson Covered Bridge
Brandon, VT

The Sanderson Covered Bridge over Otter Creek in Brandon VT was built in 1840 as a 132 foot span by an unknown builder. In 1989 the bridge had been closed to traffic, and a temporary steel bridge was located next to it. Due to the high cost of a required archeological survey required before a permanent bridge could be constructed, it was decided to rebuild the original bridge. The reconstruction was completed in 2003 and the temporary bridge was removed. The bridge is now once again in service after a 14 year hiatus.

This side view of the bridge shows that weathering has begun after about 6 years.

The Town Lattice truss planks have been mostly replaced with fresh spruce, identical to the original. (sorry about the fuzzy picture!)

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page