The Travels of Tug 44

Twin Covered Bridge
Rutland, VT

The Twin Bridge at Rutland VT was built by Nicholas Powers as a 63 foot span over East Creek. It was so named as a flood cut a new channel bypassing another bridge and this bridge crossed that new channel, just 15 feet from the first bridge. In 1947 the East Pittsford Dam broke, destroying the other bridge. The Twin Bridge was salvaged, moved, and is now used as a garage by the Rutland Highway Department.

Both ends of the bridge are now boarded up in keeping with it's present use. The bridge is now an unsightly shack by the side of the road in a parking lot.

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page