The Travels of Tug 44

Stepping Stones Lighthouse

That's the Stepping Stones Lighthouse, built in 1876 on the northernmost of a string of rocks running across Long Island Sound at the mouth of the East River. In colonial times it was called the Devil's Stepping Stones, after an old Indian legend.

The Stepping Stones Lighthouse was built from the same plans as the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse and the appearance is nearly identical including the stonework. Each outside corner is made of larger white stones in a zig-zag pattern, giving it a very attractive look. The white frame just below the light once held a large bell, as does the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse.

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page