The Travels of Tug 44

John J. Harvey - Retired NYC Fireboat

Built in 1931, fireboat John J. Harvey is 130 feet long, and can pump 18,000 gallons per minute. That would fill your swimming pool in one minute and 23 seconds! In her first year of service on the NYC Fire Dept, she shot water over the George Washington Bridge, during the bridge's opening ceremonies. Seen here in Kingston in 2006, she was on her way to the Waterford Tugboat Roundup when she suffered mechanical difficulties and came in to the North River Tugboat Museum for repairs.

The Harvey has five 600 HP diesels, 2 to run the boat and 3 to run the pumps. On this foggy morning, she tests her pumps off Battery Park in lower Manhattan. She was retired in 1994 and is now owned and operated by a group of preservationists known as John J. Harvey Ltd.

See the John J. Harvey fireboat website at:

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page