The Travels of Tug 44

Schooner Pioneer

The Pioneer was originally built in 1885, as a freighter to haul sand in Delaware Bay. Her original sloop rig was replaced with her present schooner rig in 1895. She is especially unusual in that her hull is not made of wood, but rather of wrought iron.

Operated as a tour boat by the South Street Seaport Museum, she has a volunteer crew, and is certainly one of the prettiest boats in New York Harbor.

See the South Street Seaport Museum website at:

Erie Canal   -   Champlain Canal   -   Hudson River   -   Canal History

  Lighthouses   -   Canal Corp Boats   -   Tugboats & Trawlers

Tug 44 Home Page